Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Payphone

I have to tell you a funny story that just goes to show how old I am. (Not that I think 34 is old!!!) My son and I went to the public library a few months ago and as we were walking in, he just stopped. I couldn't figure out what was wrong and why he wouldn't go into the library. At first, I was a little annoyed because I just wanted to find the books I was looking for and go home. Finally, he pointed to a payphone.....YES, a payphone! He was so excited about that. He said "Mom, I don't think I have ever actually seen a payphone up close" I couldn't help but laugh out loud.   It was too bad that I hadn't brought any change with me. Can you imagine how excited he would have been to actually use one?

This story popped into my head for some reason last night as I was trying to go to sleep. I realized just how many things have changed since I was his age. Sure, we had a phone, but it was attached to the wall. We didn't call our friends and family that were out of town very much because it was expensive to call long distance, so we wrote letters to them. I remember writing countless letters to my uncle who was in the navy. These days, of course, you see people driving down the street talking on the phone. Most cell phone companies offer free long distance, and letter writing has all but ceased. It is so much faster to just text. My father in law is in New Zealand for a few months and I had a full conversation with him through text messaging last night.

I just have to wonder what life will be like for my grandki....kids' kids. (It felt wierd calling them my grandkids)

No comments:

Post a Comment