Monday, December 13, 2010
Make this Christmas Special for Someone in your Community
Community service –
Community Service is not just for people who have been in trouble. It is a way to help the people in your community. Here are a few things you can do to help around the Holidays
- Shovel driveways for the elderly,
- Help cook or serve a meal at a homeless shelter
- Buy or donate food to a homeless shelter. Homeless shelters are always in need of food. Go through your pantry and find canned goods to donate to them.
- Offer to be a bell ringer for the Salvation Army
- Offer to shop for Christmas presents for a senior citizen that is unable to get to the mall
- Offer to fill out Christmas cards for the family of an elderly person in your community
Donate your time at Nursing Homes–
Christmas can be very lonely for people in a Nursing Home. When you donate some of your time during the holidays, it makes them feel special. That is a wonderful feeling. Here are some things you can do while you are there.
- Decorate a Christmas tree
- Get a group together to sing Christmas Carols
- Make ornaments for their tree
- Help them make gifts for a child that is hospitalized
- Help them make gifts for their children or grandchildren
- Just talk!
Donate toys for less fortunate children –
The Salvation Army will usually have Christmas Trees at malls or shopping centers with tags on them. These are filled out by children whose families can’t afford to buy gifts for their children. Usually, these kids ask for some kind of toy, and then they give their clothing size. You will not get to see the expression on their faces when they open them, but I guarantee that every child will appreciate the gifts they get. This is an easy inexpensive way to help a child in your community.
You have the ability to make this Christmas special for someone in your community. Christmas is a time for giving. This does not necessarily mean you have to spend a lot of money. Give the gift of companionship and love. For someone who is alone on the holidays, that may be far better than a gift. If you have extra money, buying a gift for a child who may not get one is a way you can help out. Either way, you are touching someone’s life, and that is the best gift of all.