Thursday, January 6, 2011

Freedom of Speech on Social Networking Sites

Today, I feel the need to talk about my opinions of other peoples Freedom of Speech on social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter and My Space. This is something that has been bugging me for a couple of days now. Maybe by getting it typed up, I will be able to stop thinking about it so much!! Ok, so here goes.

A couple of days ago, my husband put a post on his facebook stating his opinion of "skinny jeans" worn by boys. He basically said that he didn't like them and that in his opinion, they shouldn't wear them. He received several comments on this post. Most of the people agreed with my husband, however, one guy got on there and said "Dude those were my dead brother’s favorite, jackoff. Think before you make another post." At first, I thought he was kidding, but he came back on and said that he was serious. I was shocked and angered!! To be quite honest with you, him calling my husband a jackoff and putting it in a place where the world can see it offends me greatly, but I understand that he has that right, just as my husband has the right to say what he said!

I believe that my husband has the right to put whatever he wants on HIS Facebook page and whoever doesn't like his thoughts can unfriend him. If they CHOOSE to be friends with him then they should keep their mouths shut. I mean honestly, if we have to try and base everything we say on whether or not it is going to offend Joe Schmoe from Kokomo, then no one would ever talk. Not only that, but we do live in America and we have the right to talk and to say what we want.

No comments:

Post a Comment